Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What Makes a Witch

I have to admit my first attraction to the Craft was the magic, so empowering!  In my experience the magic is fun and often times necessary.  Preparing for the magic is an eye opener.  The magic begins when you start your research and search for your materials.  Its like an excavation of yourself.  Questions I ask myself, why am I doing this, is it going to hurt anyone (including me)?  I must choose my words wisely, I need to focus my energy, have quiet time.  Remember to thank and not take for granted the deities that assist me. 

I'm not always making magic, so what do I do when I'm not working on a spell?  I've always been a spiritual person, and been part of and participated in other religions.  Study was important, fellowship and prayer where major parts of my life.  I drifted away from this when I started down this path.  It was spiritually lonely.  I liked the magic part, but I needed the daily connection to God/Goddess.  Without this, to me magic can get a little stale.  Slowly I started my own rituals, taken from other religions and this one.  I light my 7 day candle every morning and I thank the Lord and Lady for another day, for safety, for blessings.  I call in my guides and angels and ask for their assistance and blessings for me and my family and those in need.  As I stand in front of my altar I can feel the energy run down my spine.  I don't even have to light the candle, the minute I approach that altar I know I'm in church or temple, its sacred ground to me. 

OK, so what about the rest of the day?  I can't go around feeling all Whoo Whoo all the time, holy and such!
A real eye opener for me is the connection of nature and becoming a Witch.  Yes, it is politically correct nowadays to care about the environment, and a lot of people do so without being witches.  I have experienced a personal responsibility for every action I make in my home reflects my belief system.  Am I walking the walk?  This brings me to awareness.  Awareness in the most mundane things.  Here is a silly example, when I open a can of dog food, I recycle that can.  I hate washing out that can.  I'm not going to throw it out without washing it because it will attract flies.  I have often debated just throwing it in the garbage.  That is my lazy self talking.  Then all of a sudden I'm picturing that can (my can) languishing in a landfill inside of a plastic garbage for the next 100 years or more.  I can't do it!  I wash out the stupid can and recycle it.  It may sound silly, but that's what I think about.  Every time I throw out food and don't compost it I feel like I'm not appreciating what Mother Earth has given me.  How can I approach her everyday knowing that I have spit in her face and not respected her creation?  I'm not saying I'm the most evnviornmentally correct person out there, I screw up.  Yet she answers me when I need her, the loving mother listens to my requests and lends her energy to magickal works.  Yes, these are the thoughts that run through my brain.

All these things have been taught to me by the books I've read and the time I've taken to look within, but does this make me a Witch?  I'll be posting more on this topic, there is more to write but I've run out of words for now.  Blessed Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment